The Windsor was built between 1895 and 1898 and remains one of the great surviving hotels in Australia. The Windsor is a fine example of the commercial architecture of prominent Perth architect JJ Talbot Hobbs. JJ also designed the Swan Brewery in Mount Street, so he understood a bit about beer. The Windsor was built for George Strickland for the princely sum of four thousand and fifty pounds.
Presently listed with the national trust and owned and cared for by the Ogden family, the Windsor has undergone a make-over which mixes its historic charm with contemporary chic. The former public bar has been transformed into the modern boutique Mends St Bar, the old restaurant is now a colourful café bar, the old Sluggers Bar is long gone, the area now a beautiful bar and garden.
With well over 100 years of operation The Windsor has seen many generations come and go. The Windsor is more than a pub, more than a restaurant or venue for functions, more than just the bricks and mortar that comprise it.